Sunday 12 February 2012

Lions Head...

So, the all new, all dancing trainers which I purchased in a motivational bid to get fit have been used twice. That's right. Twice. I don't like to talk about one occasion - let's just say the hate-hate relationship with running continues, beautiful beach or not.  The second occasion was to climb Lions Head, which looked like a breeze in comparison with the climb up Table Mountain I encountered on my first trip to the Cape.

So new & shiny.. So eager!

The dusty trail soon turned into a bumpy, rocky, steep incline. The boy marched ahead, only pausing for breath when to shout at me to catch up. The energetic excitement the shiny sneakers and I shared at the bottom of the hill soon started to fade, but we rounded a corner and the view over Camps Bay gave a much needed lift. I managed to block out the impatient yells directed at my weary legs and marched on, only having a slight wobble when confronted with chains in the rock face and the realisation I would have to use them to scramble up.  The boy had a wobble of his own on the descent when a Cape Cobra (read "deadly") slithered across the path in front of him. Thankfully my bad eyesight saved me from sharing this moment.

Ready to collapse.. What a view!

Now I am a firm believer that any pain inflicted on oneself through physical exertion must be rewarded in some way. Climbing in 30 degree heat, irrespective of an amazing view, most certainly falls into the "Reward Yourself" category, so I decided the reward should be lunch at the Loading Bay in De Waterkant. We rocked up, sweaty, dusty, hot and starved, very eager to feast, but as soon as my eyes swept the room all hunger pangs disappeared as I saw the trendy, creative clientele. Even the staff were super cool.  Obviously such things don't bother a starved boy who hates anything and anyone that can be defined as "hipster", but finally I find a place I would like to frequent, and I look like this? A dishevelled English girl who's Mulberry is no doubt fake.. it's not!
Luckily for all concerned, we sat, ordered, and ate and all thoughts of  being a failure evaporated as I relished in the fare before me and rejoiced in the climb I just completed.

Just your average Apple Juice...

Cape Town is too pretty not to explore and trample on, so the trainers and I will be going on another adventure, soon I hope. I will just have to be more prepared for the feast which will no doubt follow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment